I have had a few people ask me how to get their doctors to listen to them when they know something is wrong but all tests are coming back “normal”.
Sometimes you can’t. It really depends on the doctor, but I have come up with a few things that will give you the best chance at getting the care you need.
1. Find the right doctor. Call compounding pharmacies to get a recommendation for someone who goes the natural route or better yet isn’t opposed to going either or both ways as some people need combined therapies to feel best.
2. Do your research. Even if you are stuck on your doctor, you may have to order lab tests yourself and learn to read them. Not all doctors know about hormones. If you do your homework and know how to ask the right questions you will likely get better help.
3. Be the first or last appointment of the day. Unless your doctor is some form of specialist you will likely get stuck with a 15 minute or less appointment and only 5 of them will be spent with your doctor in the room. If they are behind schedule your doctor may have to rush you.
4. Come prepared. Know your symptoms and come in with a list. If your doctor says everything is normal then ask what else it could be and make them brainstorm with you. If you educate yourself then you will be able to have an intelligent conversation rather than one sided opinions.
5. Get copies of your labs. It is best to obtain these prior to the appointment if possible so you can do some research and compile your questions.
6. Don’t feel guilty for wasting their time. Ask as many questions as you need to. Don’t rush yourself through the appointment.
7. You may have to find a new doctor. Don’t give up, your health and well being is worth working for.