Looking for a super simple (not easy) Metabolic workout which requires minimal equipment? Well, you are in luck.
All you’ll need for this workout is your body weight and a heavy set of dumbbells or kettlebells. The featured exercise in this workout is a farmers walk. There is nothing more “functional” than carrying heavy stuff. It has too many benefits to be ignored:
1. Great cardio (especially for lifters)
2. Core strengthening
3. Grip strength development
4. Rotator cuff and upper back strengthening
The “accessory” exercises in the circuit are up to you. I like burpees and kettlebell swings OR medicine ball slams but that’s just me. Just pick two exercises which work a lot of muscle.
Here is what the routine looks like:
1. Farmers walk 20-30 steps (or pick a land mark)
2. Set the bells down
3. Do 10 burpees (or whatever you chose)
4. Deadlift the bells back up and walk back to where you started from
5. Set the bells down
6. Do 10 KB swings (or whatever you chose)
7. Deadlift the bells back up and walk back 20-30 steps or to your land mark.
8. Set the bells down
9. Do 9 burpees (or whatever you chose)
10. Deadlift the bells back up and walk back
11. Set the bells down
12. Do 9 swings (or whatever you chose)
You will repeat this process as described above, without rest, decreasing a rep on each end of your walk until you get down to 1 rep of each accessory exercise. It’s that simple.
Key: the weights you choose for your carries should be hard but not max weights. If you are dropping the bells after 3 lengths due to grip strength, they are too heavy. Towards the end of the workout is when you should be struggling to hold the weights…but not early on.
Give this Metabolic workout a shot and let me know what you think in the comments!